Wednesday, June 21, 2023

The One That Stayed Behind

 


You might remember that the Rotraut sculpture exhibit at the Desert Botanical Garden was ending in May.  Indeed, it did end but it looks like one of the sculptures is staying behind.  I don't know if the garden purchased this piece or if the artist gifted it to the garden.  Whatever the case, this one will stay behind surrounded by many desert plants.












There is a history of some of the sculptures staying behind.  The Desert Wildflower Towers were part of the very first Chihuly exhibit back in 2009.  I happen to know that the garden purchased these beauties from Dale Chihuly.  I've featured photos of them many times.

One of the green snails has also stayed at the garden.  He was left over from the "Wild Rising" exhibit that was shown in 2019 and 2020.  You might remember that it stayed an extra long time because of the pandemic.  


There is one more sculpture from one of the exhibits that remains at the garden.  This one stayed behind after the "Whispers of a New World" exhibit back in 2012.  I liked that exhibit with the many other-worldly creations.  You can see some of them here.

It's kind of nice to have these little memories hanging around.  

10 comments:

biebkriebels said...

The last photo with th flying net looks the best!

Gemel said...

The snail is a brilliant sculpture.

RedPat said...

The sculptures bring another dimension to the garden, Sharon.

Catarina said...

The green snail stands out!

Steve Reed said...

They are nice "souvenirs" of past exhibits. I wonder if that's part of the deal the artists strike with the garden -- that it has to purchase one of their pieces for permanent exhibition?

Bill said...

The snail is my favourite sculpture.

Travel said...

I remember that one, I love the blue with sparkle.

William Kendall said...

These stand out beautifully.

roentare said...

The desert garden still looks beautiful

Amy said...

I like the sculptures especially the snail, I'd love him in my garden.