Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Arriving Forever....

 


Last weekend, I went to the Heard Museum again.  This time I was inspired to go because I was notified of a new exhibit called "Arriving Forever Into  the Present World".  The theme of the new exhibit was to convey how indigenous culture views time as cyclical.  On view were a number of items from the last three centuries.  All types of artistic pieces were on display from rugs and blankets to finely woven baskets and creative pottery.  

One of the pieces of pottery was this piece created by Jody Folwell who learned pottery making from her mother Rose Naranjo.  Jody became known for the unusual shapes of her vessels like this one that resembles a shell.  







Right next to the piece above was this bowl created by Susan Folwell, Jody's daughter.  When I saw this bowl, I suddenly recognized it as being made by the same non-traditional artist whose work I saw a few weeks ago.  She is the same artist who created the Harry Potter themed bowl in yesterday's post.  This bowl is called "Buffalo Girl".

Looking at the names of the different artists, I began to see and understand how talent and craftsmanship is passed down from generation to generation.  Each generation expresses the learned skills using their own creative style.  That way the tradition stays alive but the resulting art belongs to each individual. It's truly a beautiful thing. 

8 comments:

William Kendall said...

I do like that bowl.

roentare said...

Beautiful bowls

biebkriebels said...

Lovely bowls.

Travel said...

Amazing work

Catarina said...

Lovely pieces.

RedPat said...

Sounds like a great show, Sharon.

Bill said...

I like the second bowl, it's a beauty.

Steve Reed said...

I love the seashell motif in the first one!