Monday, October 19, 2020

This One is a Year Old

 


I've been reviewing all the major art exhibits that I've photographed at the Desert Botanical Garden and now I'm up to date with the most recent show and the one that is still at the garden.  Normally, this show would have ended in May of this year but the pandemic lock-down up-ended the schedule.  The company that put this show together is called Cracking Art, a collective of artists from Italy.  The show is called "Wild Rising" and it features a variety of wild animals all made from recycled plastic with each display having an environmental message.  In the photo above, the meerkats are standing around the Chihuly "Desert Wildflower Towers".  The garden purchased these sculptures after the very first Chihuly exhibit back in 2008 and now they have a permanent home at the entrance to the garden.


You've seen the giant snails I've posted photos of before (here is one) but, I've never posted a photo of one of the small, metallic ones that are scattered about. 



And, the gray wolves are still lurking among the prickly pear cactus.


































The penguins are wondering what all those prickly things are all around them while a little cactus wren had decided that penguins make a nice perch.  

I have no idea when this exhibit will be packed up.  Since October is historically when new exhibits go up, I'm guessing this one might need to stay put a little longer.  It could be a while before the normal rhythm of things returns.  



10 comments:

biebkriebels said...

It is a great place with a nice mix of nature and art!

RedPat said...

Love the meerkats! I would love to have one out on my deck.

Steve Reed said...

That top photo looks like an illustration from Dr. Seuss!

William Kendall said...

Very creative!

Bill said...

Beautiful art! The meerkats are always interesting to see, they crack me up.

Revrunner said...

Now that last shot is of a bird I'm not familiar with.

Allison said...

Your hummingbird picture in the previous post is just stunning. Nice job of editing!
I lived in Scottsdale for a year in the mid-70s. It's always amazing to me how much Phoenix has changed. I could ride my bicycle from the ASU campus, up River Road and back to the house on Thomas Road without being killed. No mas!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I remember the meerkats Sharon, so pleased they have a permanent home here now. Your little bird last shot looks as if he is surveying and appreciating the art around him 😉

Jack said...

Nice. I have only been to one museum in the past several months. I expect to do more when I get back to Florida, depending on how careful the state and the visitors are being. I am a strong mask advocate and Florida's governor is not, though yesterday the commissioners of the county where I live renewed a mask mandate through April, so I am hopeful.

Susie of Arabia said...

The meerkats are so colorful and cute. There are identical Chihuly glass pieces up in Seattle and Tacoma. Love seeing them.