Tuesday, June 27, 2023

The Impact of Art

 

First, I have to say that this is not my photo.  It was taken by Amir Hamza, a New York Times photographer.  I copied the photo from a front page story in yesterday's newspaper.  The photo was one of many photos in a story about an art exhibit being installed in Madison Square Park in New York.  The artist is Sheila Pepe.  The reason this story prompted me to write this post is that I immediately recognized the artist and her work.  (the link above goes to the NYTimes article in case you are interested)


Back in 2017, there was an exhibit of her work at the Phoenix Art Museum and I did a post about it here.  My post was not very complimentary.  I found the art work strange, confusing and pretty much a mess and many of you agreed with my assessment.

The thing that prompted me to create this post is the recognition that the art I critiqued in 2017 had an impact on me.  I remembered the artist's name and her work.  Whether I liked it or not was beside the point.  It had a visceral impact.  Since that is what art should do, I guess it accomplished that mission.  

So, the next time you see art that you dislike, keep in mind that it is having an impact even if it's a negative one.  

I wonder how this New York work will be received. I'm sure it will have an impact, one way or another.


9 comments:

Catarina said...

You are right. It always has an impact...

Travel said...

Wonderful example of the power of art.

RedPat said...

The effect it had on you is quite interesting, Sharon.

Steve Reed said...

Interesting. That's food for thought -- even if you don't like it, maybe it's GOOD art if you remember it. There's no rule that says we have to like art for it to be effective, right?

William Kendall said...

It's interesting that it would have that effect.

Bill said...

Art does impact us one way or another.

Gemel said...

Her art is really very unusual, I would enjoy seeing an exhibition.

I also agree, when art unsettles me or confuses me, I do take in the hours and talent taken tp create the works, even if I am not taken with it.

roentare said...

The art work is such a grand scale altogether.

Gardens at Waters East said...

No doubt that art has an effect on the viewer. When I do art that is what I try to achieve.