Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Native American Pottery

 


About three weeks ago, I visited the Heard Museum and noticed that the display of native pottery had been updated with some new items.  This piece dates from the 1970's by Mela Youngblood of Santa Clara. She was known for her ability to polish her pottery. 



The pot above was created 1999 by Jody Naranjo, also of Santa Clara.  The birds represent sand cranes that are found near her home in New Mexico.

However the bowl that rally caught my eye in this display was in between the two above.  It was created by Susan Folwell a contemporary potter who also resides in Santa Clara.  For this particular bowl, Susan was inspired by the Harry Potter books.  On a shelf with all the more traditional pottery, this one really stood out.

Tomorrow I'll have a more recent follow up to this observation from several weeks ago.

10 comments:

biebkriebels said...

Looks great!

Andy said...

The bowl also caught my attention. I like the display of the different of objects.

roentare said...

Quite unique and original

Travel said...

Maybe I will take a pottery class next year.

RedPat said...

I really like that 2nd one, Sharon.

Catarina said...

Some very beautiful pieces.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful works!

Bill said...

Beautiful pottery. The bowl is my favorite.

Catalyst said...

Years ago we became aficionados of the pottery of Santa Clara and San Ildefonso's Maria Martinez. But even then we could not afford her work. We do have some black pots though from that time in our lives.

Steve Reed said...

I like the cranes. Harry Potter is a bit too whimsical for me.