Sunday, March 3, 2024

Traditional Craft, Modern Perspective

 

When I was at the Shemer Art Center last weekend for the "Furry Friends" event, I stopped inside the gallery to see the latest exhibit.  It's a show called "Modern Makers and Materials".  There were some very interesting pieces in the show.  I loved that lidded vessel made of turned wood in the left front.  The wood was cut so intricately, it looked like it was beaded.  The artist is Brian Lensink and piece is called Fancy Pants.


In the background of the photo above you see this piece called "Heaps of Trouble: Redactions" by Nancy Gifford.  

















This fabric piece is called Compartments #32.  The artist, Aryana B Londir said this work addresses the emotional, physical and mental experience of living through a pandemic.  

















I loved the story behind this last piece by Donna Atwood. It's called "Acapulco Necklace" and it's made from the shards of a much loved teapot.  She fashioned the pieces in sterling silver to create a necklace she could wear and continue to enjoy the colors of that teapot.  I love that she took something beloved that had broken and fashioned it into something that will last forever.  

I have a new post on Sharon's Sojourns today.  This one goes way, way back in history.

7 comments:

roentare said...

The 2nd shot is really modern and artistic

Travel said...

I need to see that museum when I am there next year. I get some gallery time on Monday,

RedPat said...

I like all of these pieces, Sharon. I would gladly live with any one of them.

Catarina said...

Some very nice pieces...

Stefan Jansson said...

Heaps of trouble, wow.

Steve Reed said...

LOVE the necklace! What a great way to save and "upcycle" something that would otherwise be trash. "Compartments" is cool, too.

William Kendall said...

I find these fascinating.