Monday, March 4, 2024

Alien Object

 


I took this photo back in September and I framed it so it looked like some alien object had landed near Camelback Mountain.

I was going to post it on my blog but I realized I didn't have a full perspective on it and I needed to go back and get another photo so you could see this object in full after viewing it as an alien.













I finally managed to do that when I visited the Shemer Art Center a week ago.  

This is a 3D printed sculpture called "Debutante" by artist Kevin Caron.  

The description says it is 3D printed Ryno & PLA Pearls.  I looked that up to see what it meant.  I couldn't find anything called "ryno" but I found something called "Rhino" that has to do with 3D graphics.  PLA Pearls is described as a polyester blend filament.  

I may have read the researched descriptions but actually, I really don't understand it.  I think I'd have to watch a 3D printer in action to gain a better understanding.  I've always been visual learner.  

It still looks like something alien, doesn't it?

10 comments:

roentare said...

That object has a unique surface and curves

Travel said...

My local library has a 3-D printer running, you can bring in a program and they will run it. I have no idea how the designs are made.

RedPat said...

It reminds me of tulips poking out of the ground. The 3-D stuff is way over my head, Sharon.

Steve Reed said...

It does look very alien! I like the silvery sheen. It's fascinating how computers have enabled new kinds of art.

Diaday said...

It's all about perspective and POV, isn't it?

Catarina said...

Yes, it does look a piece of outer space. : )

Amy said...

It's an interesting shape, reminds me of a squid.

Stefan Jansson said...

Wow, top photo is a winner. Alien it is.

remmij said...

fwiw, some info re: Ryno… filament
https://kevincaron.com/2023/01/13/3d-printing-filament-gets-more-interesting/

https://www.matterhackers.com/store/c/pro-series-ryno

William Kendall said...

Bizarre come to mind.