Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Not the Whole Picture

 

I recently discovered a few photos in my files where I had taken a photo but framed it so only part of the scene was photographed.  Most of the time, I do this for an artistic point of view but, sometimes it's just to make the photo more ascetically pleasing.  This photo for example is of a very rustic door that I like but to the far left there was an ugly sign announcing what was behind the door.  So, I took the photo showing only the interesting part of the door.












These two photos were both taken at the Desert Botanical Garden. I took the photo above because the upside-down stuffed grasshopper tied to the maintenance cart steering column amused me.

I framed the photo to the left exactly this way to catch the western door, light fixture and the cactus near one of the garden buildings.  I don't think I've ever taken a broader view of this building.  I should do that sometime.  






















8 comments:

Stefan Jansson said...

I often shot panoramic images and one reason for that is that I can then crop them all day long!

Travel said...

The fragments, make a better image that a full representation.

Diaday said...

At times it's fun to focus on the details instead of the whole picture.

RedPat said...

Editing in your head, Sharon. I like these shots.

Catarina said...

Interesting pictures. I like them.

Steve Reed said...

Love the grasshopper! I've done that too, framed a photo to cut out a sign or a parked car or some other unsightly element of the scene. As you've shown, it can lead to an interesting composition!

roentare said...

Hidden beauty in the lock on the door!

William Kendall said...

The cactus one is my favourite.