Friday, September 29, 2023

The Black Velvet Tree

 

I stopped at the Phoenix Art Museum last weekend.  I was in the neighborhood so I thought I'd make a quick visit.  I was surprised to find this black velvet covered tree in the lobby of the museum.  It's usually located in one of the contemporary art galleries.  

I thought I had posted a photo of this tree before but when I went to look in the archives, it doesn't look like I ever did.  This piece is by Rebecca Campbell and it's called "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?"  Yes, it is named for a pop song by the group Culture Club.  

There are several glass birds scattered around the branches of the tree.  The birds are filled with Windex to give them that blue glow.  

Ms. Campbell said the ideas for creating this tree started with her seeing a group of burned trees standing in the snow.  She said it made her think of the John Singer Sargent painting called Portrait of Madame X.  I'm not sure I would have made that connection.  It's always fascinating to learn what inspires artists.

10 comments:

roentare said...

That tree looks stunning!

Steve Reed said...

Love the tree, and how brilliant to fill the birds with Windex. Such a distinctive (and unnatural) blue!

I also don't understand the connection between Madame X and the tree, but I guess the important thing is that the artist was inspired.

Stefan Jansson said...

I hear the song in my head now.

Travel said...

I sometimes wonder how they move works like that?

RedPat said...

I love it, Sharon. I thought that those were blue lights on the tree.

Catalyst said...

I love it and I, too, thought those were blue lights.

Bill said...

The tree is awesome.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I wonder where the inspiration for the tree came from? Reminds me of some I've seen in the desert.

Gemel said...

Fantastic art!

William Kendall said...

Very odd.