Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Masks and Pottery

 

Here is another scene from that new exhibit at the Heard Museum.  You can see that painting I loved in the background.  I wanted to show you the three fabulous masks that were also on display.  They were made by Henry Speck Jr. and they were actually worn in ceremonial dances in the artist's native British Columbia area.  They are beautifully designed and intriguing to look at.  I can't imagine wearing one while dancing or even just standing still.


While I was there, I stopped at the Berlin Gallery, the shop where they sell precious pieces by Native American artists.  I admired this beautiful piece of pottery by James Polacca.  I couldn't resist a photo of the gorgeous piece.

9 comments:

Travel said...

Art with deep roots and traditions.

RedPat said...

Those masks are wonderful.

Diaday said...

My parents traveled extensively in the Southwest and collected Indian pottery. They loved the Heard Museum. I have a couple of beautiful Polacca-Nampeyo pieces from them.

Cloudia said...

Very intriguing to look at with the textures and colors! Thank you love

Bill said...

Those masks are absolutely beautiful.

William Kendall said...

The masks speak to me.

roentare said...

These masks are impressive.

Gemel said...

Lovely works.

Steve Reed said...

I love those masks. I wonder if they're meant to be wearable, or just for display?