Tuesday, August 13, 2024

I Went on a Beadle Hunt

 

At the end of July, I posted a photo of Executive Tower, a mid-century high-rise building design by Phoenix's very own mid-century architect Al Beadle.  I mentioned that I might look for more of the Beadle buildings around Phoenix and that's exactly what I did.  These first three are styles that I wouldn't normally associate with Beadle but I found a website that has archived a lot of his buildings and these three were all on the list.  Above is a small apartment complex called 12th Street Apartments.  The pattern of the blocks on the end is a signature Beadle style.

This is a medical building with multiple tenants.  In fact, my dermatologist was once located in this building.  I photographed it on a Sunday morning so there would be no cars to block the view. This one is called the Missouri Medical Building because it's on Missouri Street. 

This last one has had so many modifications that I think the only thing that remains the same is the shape and size.  It used to be a First Federal Bank but as you can see it's now a pizza restaurant.  It's called "Federal Pizza" to honor the original tenant.  I'll show some more in the next few days.

It was fun seeking out these mid-century gems.  I'm glad I challenged myself to find some of them.

8 comments:

roentare said...

Now all the buildings are getting vacated these days

Travel said...

Great reuse of the bank building.

RedPat said...

I think I remember when you first showed one of his buildings and I went on line to look him up and was very impressed. Love his style, Sharon.

Diaday said...

Your own "treasure hunt!"

Steve Reed said...

At least they repurposed the old bank rather than tearing it down. I like the 12th Street Apartments! Looks like a cute little complex, and very mid-century.

Bill said...

The 12th street apartments looks nice. The old bank conversion worked well.

Aimz said...

I like the top one the most. I can definitely see it's from the 1960s

Jack said...

Gotta say, I would not identify these three as having been designed by the same architect.