Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Plucked From the Archives

 

I have a few more photos I found while organizing my photo files over last weekend.  Above is a scene from the historic neighborhood in downtown Tucson.  This was taken sometime before 2011.  I know that because when I bought my first MacBook laptop on July 20, 2011, the Apple tech guys transferred all my photos and documents from my old Dell laptop to the new one.  In the process, almost all of the photos lost their metadata and they all now have a date of 7/20/11.  This photo made me think I was exploring an old ghost town but this building is actually in downtown Tucson.  It's been spruced up and restored these days however, I really like the old and crumbling look it had back then.


This photo was also taken sometime before 2011.  I was wandering around the old historic part of Tucson when I spotted these fellows gathered in an alley.  It turns out they are characters in a historic reenactment that takes place at the site of the old Spanish settlement in downtown Tucson.  I just thought this photo was fun because of these men in period dress standing under a modern surveillance camera with a modern parking garage in the background.  I wrote a post about the historic reenactment here.



This last one is a photo of a plant that was also taken in that same downtown Tucson area.  It struck me at the time as very exotic looking.  I had no idea what it was but, my trusty iPhone now says that it is a Ricinus.  If any of you know it by a different name, let me know.  

I don't know about you, but I love sorting through old photos.  They bring back so many memories. 

10 comments:

Travel said...

Great photos, when I moved to Mac, all of my photos ended up in one giant folder - like 38,000 of them.

RedPat said...

That 1st shot mad me think of a ghost town too. I'm glad the building has been fixed up, Sharon.

remmij said...


3rd image: btw, think the first image is very nice, enjoy the juxtapositions in the 2nd
Carmencita? - well to stay clear
https://www.poison.org/articles/what-happens-if-i-eat-castor-beans-222
https://www.gardenia.net/plant/ricinus-communis-carmencita-castor-oil-plant

remmij said...

meant to include this reference from the UK -
https://plantura.garden/uk/flowers-perennials/castor-oil-plant/castor-oil-plant-overview

remmij said...

also invasive, bur has some positive uses
https://www.webmd.com/diet/castor-oil-health-benefits
https://www.oneagorahealth.com/30-outstanding-castor-oil-uses-and-benefits.html
https://www.cal-ipc.org/plants/profile/ricinus-communis-profile/

Bill said...

Excellent photos. I like the first one and the juxtapositions in the second photo are fantastic.

Bill said...

Excellent photos. I like the first one and the juxtapositions in the second photo are fantastic.

Aimz said...

I like those buildings, we don't see those here.

roentare said...

The door is truly rustic

Steve Reed said...

I know the plant as a castor bean, the source of the poison ricin. They ARE pretty and make interesting landscape plants, though. I like the top photo a lot, and yeah, the inclusion of the security camera in the second one is a funny touch. :)