Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Past and Present

 

I found two very old  and very faded slides likely taken sometime in the 60's before we had moved to Arizona.  I recognize them as taken in Old Town Scottsdale. That's my dad standing over to the right.  I decided to go over to Scottsdale in search of these locations.


  I believe this is the spot where McGee's used to be located all those years ago.  January is the very heart of the winter tourist season so it was impossible to get a photo without the cars in front.

This second slide is of a place called Lulu Belle which used to be a gay nineties themed cocktail bar.  I don't think any of my family was ever inside the place but I do recall liking the look of the place.


I didn't expect that the stripes would still be there but there they are.  It looks like two businesses share the building now and one of them calls itself "Belle's", a Nashville kitchen.   Nashville kitchen in Scottsdale Arizona?  That seems out of place to me.  

It was fun to track down these locations.  It gave me an opportunity to visit a couple of galleries and enjoy some art that I can share in future posts.


8 comments:

roentare said...

The red stripes can cause illusion

Travel said...

It is fun to revisit the past, and see how things have changed. Great old Buick or Oldsmobile in the second slide.

Diaday said...

Good ole fried chicken and pulled pork on the Nashville kitchen menu. The red and white stripes look out of place in the desert color palette.

RedPat said...

That must have been fun chasing down the old locations, Sharon.

Catalyst said...

I remember seeing both of those places back in the day. And how about the Pink Pony?

Steve Reed said...

Cool! I love revisiting old photo locations -- and you know I love old slides. It looks like Belle's is a descendant of Lulu Belle's, maybe through a series of new owners.

Aimz said...

I kind of like how they use to look, I think they had more character,

William Kendall said...

Things do change.