Sunday, March 6, 2022

Southwest Silverwork

 

Back in February I did a post about going to the opening of a new exhibit at the Heard Museum all about Native American silver works.   One of my readers asked if I had any photos of the pieces in the show and I didn't because the room was small and there were too many people there.  So, I went back to get some photos and I had the room all to myself.  Above is one of the displays of the concho belts.  The one at the top dates back to between 1860 and 1875 and is one of the oldest representations.  The one with the square buckle dates to 1890.

Also on display were some early necklaces in a pattern called a squash blossom.  Necklaces similar to this are still made today.  

Another case contained bracelets adorned with turquoise.  These are still very popular today.  I have a friend who wears a narrow one all the time.  

I have a new post on Sharon's Sojourns today.  I'm featuring things to see in St. Louis Missouri.  

7 comments:

biebkriebels said...

The last photo looks familiar to me, I have a ring with turquoise too.

Travel said...

Very nice, inspiring, I should revisit silversmithing when I retire

RedPat said...

So gorgeous, Sharon. Makes me want to buy a ring or a bracelet.

Steve Reed said...

Excellent! I'm so glad you went back for some photos! The concho belts are especially interesting. I love the one with the square buckle. I have seen modern versions of the squash blossom necklaces.

Bill said...

Beautiful silver work by the Native Americans.

William Kendall said...

These are beautiful.

Amy said...

Everything is very nice, I'd be picking out lots of rings to wear.