Saturday, June 20, 2020

Celebrating Juneteenth



Yesterday I got another virtual visit email from the Phoenix Art Museum, this time celebrating "Juneteenth" and works of black artists.  If I would have had this sooner, I would have posted it yesterday on the actual day, June 19th.  The "visit" featured 9 pieces of art all by celebrated black artists.   I discovered I had pictures in my archives for 7 of the pieces they featured.  First up is a work by Erica Deeman named "Untitled 18".


The museum has two more of these profile portraits.  They look very striking hung in a row like this.


The next one is a work I featured just a few weeks ago called "Palindrome #1 by Glenn Ligon.  Since the photo I posted a few weeks ago was just of the black and white piece, I decided to use this shot that I took in 2018 when it was surrounded by those black butterflies and moths from the artwork "Black Cloud".


This one is called "The Bitter Nest, Part 1: Love in the School Yard" by Faith Ringgold.  I remember when this one was featured in a show dedicated to female artists a few years ago.


Many of you will recognize the art of Kehinde Wiley.  I believe this painting was the first of his works that the museum acquired.  It's called "Marechal Floriano Peixoto (From the  World Stage: Brazil Series)".  Since this purchase, the museum has acquired a few more of Wiley's works.   The email visit featured the three below.


"Memling: After Memling's Portrait of a Man with a Coin of the Emperor Nero"


"Memling: After Memling's Portrait of Maarten van Nieuwenhove"


"Memling: After Memling's Portrait of a Man in Red Hat"

I do love Wiley's work.  I featured photos from a wonderful exhibit the museum did of his work four years ago.  I especially loved the stained glass "saints".

As always, I'm enjoying the virtual visits that museum has provided via email.  It will be great when I can go back in person.


11 comments:

PerthDailyPhoto said...

What a brilliant idea Sharon, virtual tours! The artwork is brilliant, hopefully the gallery will open soon and you can see and admire them in reality. Our art gallery opened a week ago, was so nice to visit, especially as it was a rainy day 💙

RedPat said...

I remember your pics from the Wiley show. Those profile shots are so dramatic!

Steve Reed said...

Wiley's work IS interesting and beautiful. I love that painting of the Brazilian guys with all the flowers. The black butterflies and moths are fascinating, too!

Bill said...

The profile portraits are beautiful.

Revrunner said...

Interesting way to frame these portraits.

Bob Crowe said...

Elegance and beauty. I've seen the :Face Me I Face You" in Phoenix or somewhere. We had a big Wiley show here last year.

Catarina said...

Great portraits.
Virtual tours... for now!!

Stefan Jansson said...

I have to admit that I didnt know about this day and its origins.

William Kendall said...

The last stands out.

LuiZ FernandoS said...

I first knew Kehinde Wiley on a tv documentary about his paintings of black models and was fascinated.
I am curious about the title of "Marechal Floriano Peixoto (From the World Stage: Brazil Series)". He was the second president and a very tough militar. I will search for this brazilian series

LuiZ FernandoS said...

When in Rio, he painted a series inspired by public monuments. The 'Marechal Floriano'monument has this sculpture at its foot: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/16/Monumento_a_Floriano_Peixoto.JPG/450px-Monumento_a_Floriano_Peixoto.JPG