Friday, June 5, 2020

A Tale of Three Books


Since the pandemic lockdown started, I've been doing a lot more reading and watching movies.  That's probably the same as many of you.  The last three books I've read all stuck with me but for vastly different reasons.  I thought I'd mention them.

A Very Stable Genius is of course all about you know who.  It was a difficult read, not because of the excellent writing but because reliving all the political upheavals, vindictive behaviors and borderline treasonous actions just compounds the misery we've had to live through these last few weeks.  I do think it was interesting to learn what went on behind-the-scenes around each ire-inducing event.  The amount of red-faced temper tantrums that go on every day in the White House makes it seem more like a day-care center than the home of the leader of the free world.

After finishing the above book, I wanted to read something much lighter and more entertaining.  I grabbed a copy of one of Sophie Hannah's revivals of Agatha Christie.  The book is called Closed Casket and it followed the standard Christie playbook making it vastly entertaining.  There was one line in the book spoken by a main character, that jumped off the page at me.  It reads: "You see, in the normal run of things, people who lie as easily as they breathe never admit it.  They have an endless capacity to invent new lies to explain the old ones.  It is not a moral problem, in my opinion, so much as a mental illness."  I bet you can guess why that jumped out at me.  It's an almost perfect description of the guy written about in the first book I listed.

The third book I just finished is called The Dreamers.  The funny thing about this book is that I just picked it off of my 'need-to-read' stack without giving it much thought beforehand.  When I started reading it, I thought to myself "this might not be the best book to read at this time" but it was too late.  I was hooked.  It was published before this pandemic arrived but it pretty much describes everything we are going through right now, mysterious virus, everyone in masks, quarantining, closing of businesses, makeshift hospitals, conspiracy theories, people rebelling and so on.  It's all there.  I wonder if Ms. Walker had some kind of premonition that led her to write this book.

Three vastly different books all linked together by the events of today.  I think I'll look for something much lighter to read next.  After all, just reading the newspaper these days raises the blood pressure!

14 comments:

biebkriebels said...

Interesting stuff to read, that first one I would have skipped, that second, I never understand the clue in a detective, I think I would read the last one...

Sami said...

I think I would enjoy the third book too.
It might be interesting to learn about T and what's behind his tantrums but I don't much care for the guy.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

The second book would have been the one for me Sharon, love a good murder mystery, especially love her Hercule Poirot series. I can only imagine what goes on in the Whitehouse these days, none of it good 😉

Steve Reed said...

Interesting! I'm not sure I could take the Trump book. And I didn't know a new author had "revived" Agatha Christie. The Walker book sounds really good, and I have a feeling we have it in our library. I'll look into it! (In the fall!)

RedPat said...

I have been reading all of Agatha Christie on my e reader. She always throws in a twist a the end.

Catarina said...

I've had enough of Trump.
How about a romance novel next?
: )

Roseann said...

I can recommend NORMAL PEOPLE on hulu. Put on the subtitles and have patience. It is Irish made and o-so-good.

Bill said...

The third book sounds pretty good. Don't think I'd want to do any reading about the manchild.

Catalyst said...

I read the first one you mention though I try to avoid books that raise my blood pressure. :D I've just finished "Insatiable" by Gael Greene. Kind of a trashy read though I did enjoy reading of chefs and restaurants in France and New York until it got monotonous. Somewhere in there I read a P.G. Wodehouse for the same reason you picked up the Christy book. Now I'm into a book about northern Italian cookery, "The Splendid Table" by Lynn Rossetto Kasper.

Janey and Co. said...

I certainly agree with all of your comments...Yes we have all been reading and watching movies and Netflix series...although I have started a few and never finished...I think I have already watched all of the good stuff. Have you watched the movie Edie? I sure liked it...

Kay said...

You did somehow manage to weave together three very disparate books!

Revrunner said...

There certainly have been moments over these past few weeks when I've thought about reading Rucker's book but opted, instead, for some "lighter" reading, like about the great plague in London in the late 17th century and the influenza outbreak of 1918. :-)

Jack said...

An interesting selection of books. (I have been reading, too.) I read too many aggravating things about the demented moron in the White House just following the daily news than I couldn't take a book about him on top of the news. And this is from a man who has voted for more Republicans over time than Democrats . . . but I changed my party registration since Trump has been in office and have given money repeatedly to Joe Biden. We have to get that bastard out of office.

William Kendall said...

I'm presently re-reading Shelby Foote's narrative of the Civil War.