Sunday, August 20, 2023

The Evolution of a Mailbox

 

Way back in 2007, my friends Julie & Dave introduced me to Crystal Cove State Park on the Newport Coast in California.  At that time, it was just in the beginning phase of the restoration and preservation of a tiny beach village where a settlement of people lived in rustic cottages built in the 1920's and 1930's.   I took the photo above on that first visit in 2007.  I found the old rusted mailbox sitting on the porch of one of the cottages and I thought it had a certain historic charm. 

When I returned to the spot in 2013, the old rusty mailbox had been replaced by this new one painted with depictions of the area.  

In 2014, the new mailbox was still being used and still sitting on the same porch.  

I photographed it again in 2015 when I could see that the rust that had started at the back of the mailbox was now creeping over the top of it.


The 2018 photo above shows the the mailbox was still there in spite of the progression of the rust.


I took the photo to the right just last week when I was in California.  That mailbox is still there and in exactly the same spot but it's starting to look similar to the one I photographed all those years ago.  If you live by the sea, a little rust is inevitable.   

That historic charm that caught my eye in 2007 is still working its magic all these years later.

11 comments:

Travel said...

Time by the sea takes its toll.

RedPat said...

This is a great little series, Sharon.

Catarina said...

Amazing!
You kept going back!
Good series. :))

Steve Reed said...

It's nice that they're keeping it "rustic"!

Stefan Jansson said...

Nice series.

Bill said...

A wonderful series.

Roseann said...

I would send your sequence of fotos to whomever lives/works in that house.

roentare said...

The mail post box looks so artistic

Aimz said...

I do like unusual letterboxes, sometimes here I've seen microwaves being used.

Gemel said...

Very different to the letterboxes in Australia.

William Kendall said...

Rust in peace?