Thursday, August 10, 2023

From the Garden to the Library

 


I made it to Sherman Library and Gardens yesterday and had another fabulous lunch.  Dahlia, the restaurant there serves outstanding meals and yesterday was no exception.  

The garden itself was just as beautiful as ever. I just love that tree with the purple flowers.  















As many times as I've been to the garden and enjoyed the flowers and the food, I had never gone into the library.  I'm glad I did this time.  It was full of old reference materials like phone books and court records.  It seemed to cover all of California and a few other western states including Arizona.  

The book above caught my eye.  It's called "How to Retire To California". I pulled it off the shelf to take a look.  

The open page above lists some cities and their populations in 1948.  

The library was a fascinating place.  I'll have to do another post about it after I return home.  I could have stayed in there for hours.

11 comments:

Travel said...

How to retire to California, move in near this library and you are set for a long time.

RedPat said...

The garden is beautiful, Sharon. I wonder what libraries of the future will be like with everything on line. The same as old photos - what will there be?

Bill said...

Love the garden, it's so pretty. I could see myself sitting in that chair for hours at the library just looking through some books.

Steve Reed said...

Beautiful garden! I love the otter holding the parasol. As for the book, I was amused at the sentence, "Here it is not looked upon as a crime to retire as it is in New England." People didn't retire in New England?!

As for retiring to Bakersfield, well...no.

William Kendall said...

An appealing place!

roentare said...

The garden is gorgeous!

Catalyst said...

I hope there's more than one chair in the library although that one looks very comfortable.

Aimz said...

I really like it. So much colour but that library - I would be in there reading all the time.

Gemel said...

The garden is breathtaking.

The Happy Whisk said...

Very cool that they have all those books. We love books.

Catarina said...

It was another enjoyable day.