Friday, September 18, 2020

The World of Big Bugs

 

Here is another of the art exhibits that have taken place at the Desert Botanical Garden over the years.  This one dates back to September of 2011 and ran through January of 2012.  It was David Roger's Big Bugs!

These creatures are all made from fallen trees and selectively harvested willow branches and other forest materials.  

The big guy to the left was positioned right inside the entrance to the garden so he was the first one visitors would see.  The giant ant and his pals (above) was climbing around on the hillside by one of the trails.  Those ants would certainly ruin a picnic rather quickly.  













I remember that these creatures were a big hit with the kids.  While they were at the garden I always saw lots of kids with their parents and quite a few school groups too.  I wondered what these giant creatures were up to these days so I looked up David Roger's Big Bugs and I see that they are now crawling around the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia.  

15 comments:

biebkriebels said...

They look cute and fits well in the landscapes.

Andy said...

What a interesting place to explore. Wish I could be there.
PS: It is a praying mantis that is at the entrance to the garden. :-)

PerthDailyPhoto said...

They are beautifully executed Sharon, I can see why the kids would love them.... imagine a spider that big eeeeeeek!

Travel said...

There was a spider almost that large on the trail in front of me the other morning, I hadn't seen anything that size in years.

RedPat said...

They are wonderful, Sharon! They take away the creepiness of bugs.

Catarina said...

Those are huge bugs! And scary!!
: )

William Kendall said...

These are fun!

Billy Blue Eyes said...

They look awesome, love to have on in my garden

Revrunner said...

Now those would be scary to come across one dark and stormy night. :-)

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Love it!! Perfect for a desert garden. They remind me a bit of the sculptures in the Anza Borrego desert.

Bill said...

They look perfect in that setting but a bit scary.

Kay said...

These seem well suited to the desert. It seems like I've seen some pretty outsized insects in the desert, though not quite this scale (it just seemed like it).

Gemel said...

They are incredible!
Look right at home in the natural setting.

Steve Reed said...

Very cool! Wasn't there a horror movie involving giant ants disrupting a picnic?

Susie of Arabia said...

These are fabulous! I love the praying mantis!