Saturday, September 5, 2020

I'm Jumping for Joy!


I'm jumping for joy because yesterday I went to a museum for the first time in over 6 months.  The Heard Museum opened recently allowing only a limited number of people in at one time and of course, with a lot of other precautions.  Visitors must wear a mask, all employees wear masks and hand sanitizer is located throughout the museum.  It was actually quite pleasant to be there with so few people around.  The main exhibit was called Larger Than Memory featuring contemporary art from indigenous North America.  I love those larger than life necklaces hanging in front of the entrance. 


Being a person who loves patterns and color, I fell in love with this piece by Jeffrey Gibson.  It's called "Brighter Days" and it certainly brightened up my day.


This last piece is a diptych by Steven Yazzie. It's called "Nature Doesn't Give a #%*! About You, But It's Sure Nice to Look At".  The artist pained himself in a sort of camouflage jumpsuit sitting on a rock in a stream.  He's looking in the direction of his studio where a coyote is relaxing on a chair with the artist's unfinished work scattered about.  The artist and the coyote are occupying each other's territory.  Steven Yazzie was actually in the gallery working on a documentary about this exhibit and it was nice to chat with him for a bit.  I'll show you a few more from the exhibit tomorrow.

P.S.  The other thing that is making me "jump for joy" is that I got my hair cut yesterday.  Suddenly things that used to feel like necessary chores feel like things to celebrate!

12 comments:

biebkriebels said...

Yes I miss it so much too. It has become all so complicated now with appointments before. We have to travel to Amsterdam, but you never know you are in time there.

William Kendall said...

These are wonderful!

Travel said...

Amazing, I should make reservations at one of the museums here.

RedPat said...

I still haven't headed out to anywhere like that! I love the pieces that you have shown, Sharon!
I think I had about 6 inches cut off my hair - I feel renewed too!

Revrunner said...

Brighter days might just be a little too much for my living room. I think I might become cross-eyed looking at it. :-)

Bill said...

Beautiful art pieces!

Sami said...

I love Brighter Days too!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

How fab on both counts Sharon.. it feels so good when you get hair cut after so long ๐Ÿ˜‰ even more exciting to visit the gallery after such a long time ๐Ÿ’œ

Steve Reed said...

Fantastic that you got to go to a museum. I haven't been in at least six months. It would be heaven to see an exhibit without crowds! Maybe I need to try it. (I think some of our museums are open now, too.)

I love Yazzie's paintings, and that piece by Gibson is beautiful too. Is it a quilt? It looks quilt-like.

Sharon said...

Steve, it's not a quilt. It is actually painted.

William Kendall said...

Terrific shots!

Susie of Arabia said...

Lucky you getting to go out to a museum and also get a haircut. Mine is now in a ponytail - I hate it! But I won't get it cut until this virus is gone. I do love the bright colored wall hanging as well as the painting - very nice!