Thursday, April 30, 2020

Light Inspired Art


Since the Phoenix Art Museum has been closed since mid-March, they have been sending out emails to members as "virtual visits".  The one I got recently feature several pieces that all deal with light in one way or another.  Since I recognized each piece as one I had photos of, I decided to create a post around those same pieces.  Above is one of my favorites that hangs in the main lobby so it is one of the first art pieces you see when you enter the museum.  It's called "The Last Scattering Surface" by Josiah McElheny.  It's part of the artist's big bang series and attempts to explain the creation of the universe.


This next one is called "Palindrome #1" by Glenn Ligon.  It's neon lettering against a black background.  Your first thought might be that the phrase really isn't a true palindrome.  The artist calls it a conceptual palindrome, not a verbal one. I almost always see people doing selfies in front of this one.

This is a very subtle piece called "Mohl Ip" by James Turrell.  It's located in the great hall of the museum where events are held.  I call it subtle because it changes colors and intensity very slowly.  I've seen it almost red and often blue.  It has a kind of hypnotic effect if you sit and watch it.




























I'll have to describe this one to you because the photo doesn't do it justice.  The piece is called "You Who Are Getting Obliterated in the Dancing Swarm of Fireflies" and the artist is Yayoi Kusama.  This one is a completely dark room that is strung with thousands of strands of tiny LED lights.  You enter from one side and exit the other.  I don't go into this very often because I have a hard time adjusting my eyes to find my way out which of course, is the whole purpose.


You might remember this one.  I've featured it several times before.  It's another favorite.  This one is called "Mike Kelley 13" by Jennifer Steinkamp.  It is a digital projection of a tree that sort of sways in the wind and changes with the seasons.  I believe this view is summer.  Jennifer named the piece after her teacher and fellow artist.

The only photo I have of the last piece is this collage I created way back in 2008.  I couldn't even find one of the original photos.   This is another digital creation and it's called "Julian & Suzanne Walking" by Julian Opie.  Several pieces like this exist in places all over the world.  I saw one once in London.  This  piece is located on the outside of the museum so even if you are just driving by, you can admire this couple who walk, walk, walk but never get anywhere.

I love getting these emails from the museum.  They have all kinds of bits of information in them that I wouldn't normally get just reading the description cards.

8 comments:

Revrunner said...

I chuckled at that last one. :-)

biebkriebels said...

Interesting exhibition!

Susie of Arabia said...

I absolutely loved all of the art in this post. I'm intrigued by the simple piece that changes colors - how? Is it the lighting? I would really love to see the fireflies piece in person. Hope you are staying well.

RedPat said...

We have one like that last one out along Bloor St and I always enjoy seeing it. It has several groups of people walking.

Bill said...

Walking but getting nowhere, how funny. :)

Steve Reed said...

You beat me to it -- I was going to say that last one is also in London! I love the first piece, which reminds me of the chandeliers at the Metropolitan Opera, and also the tree. Actually all of them are interesting. The idea of a conceptual palindrome is intriguing.

Bob Crowe said...

SLAM is doing essentially the same thing. You have a fine museum, based on our one visit there. Not wild about the first one here, It doesn't reflect the state of science very will. Love Palindrome. At first I thought it Jenny Holzer's work. We have a couple of similar Opeis in Citygarden downtown. They never get anywhere.

Kay said...

Interesting assortment. I like the first one and Mike Kelley 13.