Wednesday, April 29, 2020

The Tacky Tiki


The Tacky Tiki is every bit as good a name as the real name of this place, The Drunk Munk.  I saw this scene last Friday on my walk.  The truly sad thing is that this "Drunk Munk" restaurant/bar is located in the same building that once housed the beloved Cowboy Ciao restaurant.  I featured that former valley favorite back in 2015.  After 21 years of booming business, the restaurant suddenly closed in October of 2018.  It appears it has been replaced by this unfortunate looking place.

Perhaps I'm being unkind.  I haven't tried this place so I can't comment on the food, drink or atmosphere other than my observation of this inelegant entrance.  However, I did check their website and the pictures there did not make me want to rush to try it.

P.S. The good news is that the famous "Stetson Chopped Salad" that I described in my 2015 post, is still available at two other valley restaurants.  Or it was until....you know....the pandemic shut down.

9 comments:

Catarina said...

It's not an inviting entrance.

Bill said...

Could youa little colour to brighten things up.

RedPat said...

I remember that original post and the salad.
It is fun to look at the old comments and see Birdman still there. And Mo from London.

Steve Reed said...

Oh, now see, I think that place looks really fun! I love the retro decor. And the food menu is HUGE, which could be good or could be bad...

Revrunner said...

A little too tiki tacky for me, too. :-)

Regina said...

Hmmm, I think I'll pass on this restaurant. Even the name of it sounds uninviting.

Gemel said...

I think it looks intriguing.

Bob Crowe said...

The door color and the - what? - Polynesian gargoyle would put me off. There was a Tiki bar/restaurant for the longest time at Broadway and Washington, near where you used to live. It's a chain Irish pub/restaurant now.

Kay said...

All I can say is...at least they don't have a flaming tiki lamp at the front door. I think I saw enough of this theme in the 1960s to last me a good long while.