Friday, April 10, 2020

Playing at a Distance & Exotic Flowers


When I went for a walk yesterday, I saw that the distancing restrictions haven't stopped the golfers from playing on the Biltmore golf course.  However, I guess they are a good six feet (or more) away from each other.  I didn't see any golf cart either so they must have been walking too.  If golfing is your thing, I guess this works to beat the boredom.

When I stopped to pick up my mail, I spotted this unusual flower.  I had no idea what it was.
I had to scour through quite a lot of Google search photos to finally find it.






























It's called a Bicolor Iris or sometimes a Butterfly or African Iris.  It's native to South Africa.  It looks very exotic to me; like something that might have grown around the pyramids in Egypt.

14 comments:

biebkriebels said...

It is a bizar world with all those restrictions and new rules... :(

Andy said...

Lucky for you with the internet search. Stay safe Sharon.

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Belas fotografias, gostei de visitar o seu blog.
Um abraço e tenha uma Santa Páscoa.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
Livros-Autografados

RedPat said...

That flower is beautiful! Those people are lucky to be able to get out for some fun during these times.

Regina said...

The golf course here by the Prescott airport has golfers daily and they are practicing their social distancing. I don't think I've ever seen such a flower before but it sure is pretty.
Have a blessed Good Friday.

Catarina said...

Getting much needed fresh air.
:)

Revrunner said...

Gorgeous flower!

Steve Reed said...

It never occurred to me, but I guess golf is one of the few activities that could continue under our current distancing rules! I have never seen an iris like that before. I wonder if they grow here? Excellent find!

Bill said...

I'd rather read a book than golf. :) Nice flower and info.

Allison said...

Beautiful flower! So was that sunset. I saw this on facebook, if you're extremely bored and have a tee shirt you want to sacrifice, this looks like a reasonable DYI mask. I saw your comment elsewhere on not having the means to make a mask.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol3jKp-YH8k&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1LnIzIEuy2H7Cy78UAJXeVlRyzHzJ67mMAVlkZizj_p-wbq0L1B3592Ps&app=desktop

Kay said...

What a gorgeous flower! It's really nice and I agree that it seems very exotic.
We drove by one of our golf courses today. It was closed. I think they're all closed in Washington state.

Gemel said...

looks like and Australian native iris.
Lovey photo of it.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Golf is one of those sports where it does seem manageable to play without getting too close. I agree with Gemel above Sharon, I have often seen these little beauties in the bush in spring ✨

William Kendall said...

A lovely flower.