Monday, March 27, 2023

Restored Mural

 

Yesterday I mentioned that I had attended an event at the historic Orpheum Theatre in downtown Phoenix.  While I was there I snapped this photo of one of the restored murals inside the building.  The theater was originally built in 1929 but it changed hands many times before the city of Phoenix bought it in 1984 and began a 12-year restoration project.  For a while the theater was used as a movie theater and the owners painted the murals black because they thought they would distract from the movies.  The city hired a restoration company to remove the black paint and restore the old murals.  They are well worth saving.

Taking part in Monday Murals.  

12 comments:

biebkriebels said...

Well preserved and restored.

Steve Reed said...

I can only imagine how much work it must have taken to remove that black paint!

Travel said...

I can only hope that the black paint was cheap and poorly applied.

RedPat said...

I can't imagine painting over that with black paint. Crazy.

Catarina said...

Job well done.

Bill said...

They sure did an excellent job removing the black paint and restoring its beauty.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful!

Amy said...

I do like it when people care about restoring history.

Sami said...

What a great job they did to restore that beautiful mural. Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Sharon.

Gemel said...

Definitely worth saving.

Catalyst said...

Oh, yes!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

The city did a great restoration job. I like how they mural is located between the columns.