Friday, March 10, 2023

Art Fills the House

 

Above is a view of the living area of the second home on the home and garden tour.  In this view, we can see a large sculpture located on the patio just outside.  I recognized the piece immediately.  It's one of Jun Kaneko's famous Dangos.  And, a beautiful one it is too.  
















After spotting the Kaneko sculpture, I noticed the piece hanging on the living room wall.  I recognized that artist too.  It's a piece by Mayme Kratz, a local artist who works with natural materials to make creative and eye-catching works of art.  The natural contribution to the piece above is a selection of wings from cicadas. They have been arranged in a circular pattern and sealed in resin.  The home owner told me the piece was extremely heavy and they had to build a special brace for it to hang on the wall.  As a coincidence, I went to an exhibit of Mayme's work on Thursday afternoon.  I'll have some photos to share in the future.



These last two pieces were found in different locations of the house.   I don't know the artist for either of these pieces.  The one to the left is a great ballerina sculpture. 
















I admired the minimalist nature of this piece so I snapped a photo of it too. It has a natural look that goes well with the Mayme Kratz piece in the photo above.

Tomorrow I'll spend some time in the back garden of this house.  There were some interesting things to see there too.

7 comments:

William Kendall said...

The owners have quite contemporary tastes.

Travel said...

The right pieces in the right place

Steve Reed said...

I love the Dango! It took me a while to see the little faces on all the figures in the last piece -- at least, I think that's what I'm seeing. Clever!

RedPat said...

When I move into this house they can leave the art too. Great pieces, Sharon.

Bill said...

They have nice taste in their art.

Gemel said...

Very unique pieces.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

That's some gorgeous art. Shows well in that house.