Saturday, February 11, 2023

Major Disappointment


 
Last Sunday evening I attended the Broadway touring production of Jesus Christ Superstar, a performance I was eagerly looking forward to.  I'm a huge fan of everything the duo of Andrew Lloyd Weber and Tim Rice have created and I hadn't seen this particular musical in many years.  I was excited to experience its power and passion once again.  What a major disappointment it turned out to be.  

In many cases I've enjoyed revivals of plays.  Seeing a familiar play in a different context is sometimes very stimulating.  In this particular instance it was a bit of disaster. Let me summarize what I think went wrong.  We'll start with the singing.  I wouldn't actually call it singing, it was more like screaming.  The power of Tim Rice's lyrics does not require the singer to scream them at the audience.  The screaming combined with ear-piercing level of volume made it impossible to make out the words to any of the beautiful songs from the play.  

My next complaint was the choreography.  From the moment the play started, the cast was jerking and twisting their bodies as if they were in serious pain or possibly possessed by demons.  Their movements did not convey a message of loving admiration for the play's namesake.  It conveyed fear and terror instead.  

Moving on the the costumes composed mostly of workout clothes that you might see at a dance rehearsal. I could have adjusted to that type of costume if it hadn't been for the Nike trainers.  My imagination could have adapted to the tattered joggers but the trainers emblazoned with the Nike swoosh was a little too much. 

There is a lot more I could add to this but This post is already a lot longer than I had planned.  I will say that at first I worried that my dislike of this production was related to my advanced age however, I've read way too many like-minded reviews many written by students agreeing with everything I've just said and more.  This was just a bad revival.  The producers need to go back to the drawing board.


11 comments:

Stefan Jansson said...

Well, this was an interesting read. And a good one. I remember seeing the movie back in the 1970s.

William Kendall said...

I don't like musicals, but it sounds like the people who did this revival need to be smacked upside the head.

Andy said...

Sorry about your mishap. I saw the movie a longtime ago and enjoyed it.

Travel said...

Sounds like one to avoid,

RedPat said...

How disappointing for you, Sharon! It sounds like an all round disaster.

Steve Reed said...

What a shame! It's normally such a great musical. I can't imagine Nike trainers in "Jesus Christ Superstar"!

Allison said...

Well it really does sound awful.
Traffic this weekend should be dreadful as well. Good weekend to clean out closets or something.

Bill said...

Sorry to hear about the bad performance but you wrote a very good personal review. The music and the sound level would turn me right off. I don't care for blasting or shouting music.

roentare said...

I would love to see a broadway show again! Looks so special from your photos

Catalyst said...

I, too, was wondering at first if maybe age had caught up with you. But finishing your review it appears not.

Amy said...

oh no, not good, unfortunately many things that are remade to be more modern don't always work out for the best.