Friday, February 5, 2021

Grackles are 'Almost' Everywhere

 

I've posted many photos of the variety of birds I see when I walk at the Desert Botanical Garden but it occurred to me recently that I never see grackles at the garden.  I find that unusual because grackles are certainly everywhere else.  Grackles are common to both North and South America and they are a very common sight in the Phoenix area.  They seem to have adapted quite well to human environments.  They can be seen at almost every shopping center or office complex.  The fellow above was enjoying a decorative fountain at a nearby shopping center.


This fellow joined me for lunch one day two years ago when I was out taking photos on the far west side of the valley.  He sat on the chair across the table from me and watched while I ate.  They are said to be very smart birds who are content being around people.


This one joined me last February when I was having lunch at Kierland Commons in north Scottsdale.  

The fact that they are everywhere else in the valley brings me back to why they don't appear at the Desert Botanical Garden.  Maybe there is just too much competition from all the other birds who live there.


8 comments:

biebkriebels said...

I don't know this bird. It looks a bit like our crow.

Travel said...

I have noticed an absence of bunnies along the river, strange there are rabbits almost everyplace wild.

RedPat said...

I don't see them very often here in the city.

Steve Reed said...

Dinosaurs! I saw some grackles when I was last in Florida and I didn't immediately realize what they were. I always thought grackles were black, but these were brown, like your top example. Is the coloring a gender thing, or an age thing, or just a variation? I wonder.

Allison said...

In Tucson their natural habitat seems to be Costco parking lots.

Bill said...

I never seen this bird but it sure looks pretty. I love your first photo, it beautiful.

William Kendall said...

We do have them here, but I don't believe they're around this time of year.

Aimz said...

What a very curious bird.