Monday, February 22, 2021

Black History Month

 

February is Black History Month here in the U.S. so I'm not sure if this is a temporary mural or if it will remain.  I spotted it last Saturday on one of the downtown ASU campus buildings. It got me curious about the three people depicted on the mural so I did some research and found some amazing details.  So here goes:

Marie Daly (1921-2003) was the first African American woman in the US to earn a PhD in chemistry.  She made important contributions in several areas of chemistry and discovered the relationship between cholesterol and Hypertension.  

Earnest Just was a pioneering biologist, academic and science writer who lived between 1883 and 1941. He worked in marine biology, cell biology and parthenogenesis.  His legacy is the recognition of the role of cell surface in the development of organisms.  

Dr. Patricia Bath (1942-2019) was an ophthalmologist, inventor, humanitarian and academic.  She invented the laser cataract surgery (thank you Dr. Bath).  She was the first African American woman to receive a patent for a medical purpose and ultimately holds 5 patents in total. 

Truly remarkable people one and all!  I thank ASU for putting this mural up and prompting me to learn about these fascinating and ground-breaking people.

Taking part in Monday Murals 

12 comments:

biebkriebels said...

It looks well painted, very nice mural.

Andy said...

It is also Black History Month north of the border. I am disappointed that back in school in the 1950's we were taught next to nothing about Black History.

Travel said...

Nice. Finding Your Roots has been doing a series this month, fascinating stories.

Sami said...

Great mural and I enjoyed learning about the background to those depicted in the mural and what a great honour to them.
Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Sharon.

RedPat said...

A really good one, Sharon!

Steve Reed said...

Interesting! I'd never heard of these three. It makes you wonder how many other noteworthy minority figures we've neglected in our retelling of history. Have you seen The New York Times' "overlooked" obituaries? They go back and write obits for people (minorities and women) who should have merited an obit when they died but didn't get one.

Revrunner said...

And this month we witness the launch of a spacecraft named after the mathematician, Katherine Johnson.

Catalyst said...

My eyesight is a product of laser cataract surgery so I'll echo your thank you to Dr. Bath.

Allison said...

I, too, will thank Dr. Bath. I haven't had the surgery yet, but it's on the horizon. Beautiful pictures of everything. You're making me want to move to Phoenix!

Bill said...

An educational mural. I too, give thanks for Dr. Bath. I had my left eye taken care of by laser surgery a few years ago.

William Kendall said...

Very accomplished.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Thank you to Dr Bath from me also Sharon 😉 A more than worthy group of individuals ✨