Monday, February 8, 2021

Giant Equipment

 

I found this mural on the back wall of the Arizona Mining and Mineral museum located near the Arizona state capitol.  Unfortunately, the museum itself has been closed for several years.  In 2017, its management has been given to The University of Arizona and volunteers have been working to refurbish the building and update the collection.  I recently read that they were halted by the pandemic but returned to work in January.  I visited the museum back in 2008 and enjoyed my visit there.  I hope they are able to open it again soon.  I remember there being a fascinating display of minerals and gemstones.  

The mural displays one of the truly giant vehicles that roam around the deep copper mining canyons here in Arizona.  It is a Komatsu 930e, haul truck designed to haul extra heavy loads.  Imagine driving one of those!  And this isn't even the biggest Komatsu makes.  

Taking part in Monday Murals.  

15 comments:

Karl said...

This is big! Beautifully painted mural.

biebkriebels said...

Impressive one!

Jackie McGuinness said...

That mural is superb! So realistic. I would love to visit that museum too.

Travel said...

Amazing machines, great mural. Lots of rocks in that part of the world.

William Kendall said...

Hopefully the reopening can return to schedule.

RedPat said...

It's huge, Sharon!

Sami said...

A very realistic mural Sharon, we also have huge trucks in the north of Western Australian for the mining industry.
Thanks for participating in Monday Murals

Steve Reed said...

That IS a big ol' thing. Imagine seeing one in real life!

Andy said...

Interesting and attractive artwork. Monster truck for sure.

Bill said...

Nice mural, the vehicle is huge. I would be interesting seeing it for real.

Revrunner said...

Mileage may vary depending on driving habits. :-)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I had a friend who worked in the copper mines in Wyoming. Similar equipment, too. It's a great find.

Catalyst said...

It looks bigger than my duplex!

Thérèse said...

What a haul truck! Only in the US!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Fabulous mural! I can't imagine driving one of these Sharon but I had a sister in law who did years ago in our big mining area, she wasn't a big lady either!