Saturday, January 9, 2021

The Thunderbirds

 

Remember those old slides I found last summer that I scanned?  Here are three more.  These slides didn't have dates on them which is surprising but I'm guessing these were taken in the late 70's.


I was working in banking back then and was a member of the Mesa Chamber of Commerce.  I served on the Military Affairs committee which worked as a liaison between the city and Williams Air Force base on the edge of town.  Consequently, I was always invited to special events on the base.  


If I remember correctly, this was a semiannual event where the Thunderbird flying team came to the base for an impressive show of their precision flying skills.  Serving on that committee was so much fun.  You would not believe all the things I got to do and see.  Sadly, the base was closed in 1993.  We only have one Air Force base left in the vicinity.  Luke Air Force Base is way over on the far west side of the valley.


11 comments:

Andy said...

Nice... you got to see the planes flying in formation.

biebkriebels said...

I have always been fascinated by aeroplanes. Loved to fly over the world with them, exciting!

William Kendall said...

Those would draw me in.

Travel said...

Great photos, I have a few from the mid-60's that my father took, I think at Goodyear?

RedPat said...

Air shows are always so exciting!

Steve Reed said...

It must have been cool to see them flying!

Bill said...

Those air shows are fascinating to see. Nice photos of them flying.

Gemel said...

Great photos, I bet it was loud watching them taking off and landing. Really cool.

Catalyst said...

Those were the days, Sharon.

Amy said...

That looks like a fun day out, shame it finished.

Thérèse said...

Everything changes so rapidly. Pictures help a lot to remember and share the days...