Thursday, January 21, 2021

A Message of Hope and Unity

 

I had the TV on all day yesterday watching the inauguration of the new President and Vice President and continuing into all the events that followed.  It felt so good to be able to watch leaders who instill a feeling of pride and hope.  (I borrowed the above photo from the New York Times and photographer Erin Schaff.)


I snapped this photo of my TV screen when the ceremonies were just beginning and the dignitaries were arriving.  It was so great to see the Capitol properly adorned with celebratory bunting.  It helps to wipe away the memory of two weeks ago.


And as the evening celebrations started, I did a little celebrating of my own. This event was certainly worth a special bottle of bubbly.  And even though I was home instead of with friends, I took heart in knowing that all my friends were doing exactly the same thing in their respective homes.  We may not be able to celebrate together, but we are all celebrating this event.

16 comments:

Andy said...

The wife and I watch the whole event yesterday. In fact I am guessing the whole world was watching. What a relief it is switching from a president who cares only about his image to a President that offer hope for the future.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

We watched it here in Perth also Sharon, it was an excellent inauguration in every way, things can only get better and better now 💙

Travel said...

An amazing day, and today it is down to work.

Steve Reed said...

We had bubbly too! I feel like we're back to normal and looking forward with a sense of optimism and potential.

Sami said...

Also watched the first hour of the event, then at 1am we went to bed, then watched a bit of the repeat this morning.
At least you now have someone who wants to unite the country again! It was certainly time for some bubbly :)

RedPat said...

We watched it most of the day too! Let's hope it all works out!

Roseann said...

Exactly the same for me.

Allison said...

It was a lovely wonderful inauguration. Whoever ran it did such a good job. I caught the Foo Fighters in the special afterwards and thought they were really good, which surprised me.
That macro rose shot a few posts back was beautiful.

Catarina said...

Yesterday I was thinking of you and Tom... how happy you were feeling. It was a great day for all of us. What a difference...

Billy Blue Eyes said...

You know I could not do that sit watching the TV all day, found it hard enough as the BBC were covering it. Hope he sorts the country out

Bill said...

We watched online. It's a great day for the US and the world.

William Kendall said...

I saw his speech live. It was so refreshing to see a president again who is inherently decent in his approach to things.

Amy said...

We have been watching it all, I'd say a glass of bubbly is well deserved.

Catalyst said...

Amazingly, I had neglected to have a bottle of bubbly on hand. But we celebrated anyway.

biebkriebels said...

We all hope things will be better now for the USA with a new President!

Thérèse said...

We celebrated too... I just read on line the story of this old family Douay bible.