Sunday, November 5, 2023

Flashback: Walking in London

 


Before my recent trip to London, the last time I stayed there was in 2016.  I stayed in a hotel just one block from where I stayed on this recent trip so I had a good feel for the neighborhood around the hotel.  However, back in 2016 I always seemed to walk east and south and never really explored the area to the west.  

So I made a point of doing just that on this recent trip.  I walked all through the neighborhood which turned out to be right in the heart of the University of London campus.  Here are a few images I captured in that area of London.

At the top, a brutalist building I encountered.  I believe this building was full of apartments.

To the left is a sculpture that sits in front of a very large Chinese Restaurant.





This building appeared to hold university offices and possibly classrooms.  I think I'd call this brutalist architecture too.  I have no idea what those concrete objects were on the roof of the building.  

This building is definitely Art Deco, one of my favorite architectural designs.  I love the looks of this building.  


Not far away from the building above I found this apartment building that also had that Art Deco look.  I like the way it was squeezed in between the more traditional buildings.  

It was a great area to walk in.  It was buzzing with young people all speaking a variety of foreign languages and looking studious and eager.  

This is the same area where I found the very tall "Senate House" building I posted two weeks ago.  

10 comments:

Travel said...

I miss London, we were there briefly in March of 2020.

RedPat said...

I really love the Art Deco buildings that you spotted, Sharon. They could be in a Poirot episode.

Bill said...

That's a nice sculpture at the Chinese restaurant.

Aimz said...

I like the art deco look too. London has such alot of history and things to see.

roentare said...

The art deco building is so looking classic.

William Kendall said...

I love art deco.

Catalyst said...

Some good studies of the variety of buildings, Sharon. I'm with you: I prefer the deco to the brutalist styles.

remmij said...

recently refurbished
https://www.ribaj.com/buildings/regional-awards-2023-london-north-burwell-architects-institute-advanced-legal-studies-education
https://www.burwellarchitects.com/content-item/institute-of-advanced-legal-studies-bloomsbury#
https://www.dezeen.com/2022/02/14/burwell-architects-denys-lasduns-charles-clore-house-renovation-architecture/#/

Steve Reed said...

England loves its Brutalism -- I'm not sure why.

remmij said...

@ Mr. Reed — a hypothesis…
"plane spotting…"
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/jamie-dornan-fifty-shades-of-grey-gq-interview
&
"A senior member of the British government has been forced to admit that he was involved in a relationship with a woman who worked as a professional dominatrix."
S&B ;^0