Saturday, November 4, 2023

Archaeology of Memory

 

I went to the Phoenix Art Museum yesterday for a Members Only preview of an exhibit that opens on Sunday.  It's called Archaeology of Memory and is an examination of the work and career of pioneering Chicana artist Amalia Mesa-Bains.  

I didn't realize that the artist herself was going to be there to talk about the work.  That's her in the electric wheel chair.  The show contained a series of vignettes that are sort of life-sized ofrendas honoring someone who has passed on.  

They were all quite beautiful and interesting to see.  I spoke briefly to one of the docents working there and she said that it made her feel like a little kid visiting her grandmother's house and seeing all the things she had collected.  I think that's a perfect description.  I found myself examining all the little things in each scene.  It's an interesting exhibit.  I'm sure I'll visit it one more time.

8 comments:

biebkriebels said...

Looks very nice to visit this exhibition.

Travel said...

Sounds like a nice experience.

RedPat said...

It looks very calming, Sharon.

Stefan Jansson said...

We celebrate Alla helgons dag in Sweden today. People will go to the cemetery and light a candle at the graves.

William Kendall said...

Fascinating!

Bill said...

Seems like a wonderful exhibition.

Steve Reed said...

Yes, I can see how it would remind someone of their grandmother's house.

roentare said...

The exhibit is quite unique. Love the vibe.