Sunday, November 12, 2023

Veteran's Day Event


 The Heard Museum had a members event Saturday morning to honor veterans and talk about the role Native Americans play in the military.  For a long time, the Heard Museum had the only monument to Veteran Native Americans in the country.  I didn't realize that. The monument is pictured in the sign above.

They talked about the Code Talkers and their role in WWII.  This sign shows the variety of tribes across the country who participated as code talkers during the war.

They also featured a few art works by veteran Native American artists like this painting by Navajo Narciso Abeyta.  


After the event, my friend Glenda and I had lunch at the museum cafe where we were entertained by a lively group of Apache crown dancers.  

It was a perfect day for the event.  

9 comments:

Stefan Jansson said...

The dancers looks interesting.

Travel said...

We know so little about native Americans.

Diaday said...

What a delightful day! The Navajo Code Talkers were America's secret weapon in WWII.

RedPat said...

The Code Talkers are such a wonderful story of ingenuity and deserves more attention. It was a nice day for you, Sharon.

Steve Reed said...

I had never heard of the code talkers until I began work in the library and I came across Joseph Bruchac's book about them. Why were these things not taught when I was in school?

Bill said...

I remember reading about the code talkers, a very interesting and great story.

roentare said...

The dancers wear scary costumes

Catalyst said...

I thought the Navajos were the only code talkers. I was unaware that the Sioux also participated.

William Kendall said...

In Canada, indigenous soldiers are a long standing tradition.