Thursday, May 4, 2023

The Call of the Woodpeckers

 

When I was walking at the Desert Botanical Garden, I kept hearing the call of the Gila Woodpeckers.  There seemed to be lots of them all over the garden.



One of them was even rat-a-tat-tatting on the top of a metal light cover.  It flew away before I could get a photo.  

These two to the right were chattering away on this cactus.  It made me wonder if there was a nest inside.













When I arrived home, I was surprised to hear the same call coming from the direction of the complex courtyard.  Sure enough, there was another woodpecker exploring the crevices on a palm tree.  It was a busy day for the woodpeckers.


9 comments:

roentare said...

Hard at work. Nice coat of colours and patterns

Andy said...

Nice collection of Gila Woodpeckers. I have never seen them in my neighborhood.

Travel said...

Seeing with our ears first,

RedPat said...

I don't think that we have those ones here. The cactus spines must not bother them.

Stefan Jansson said...

Nice day for some bird spotting.

William Kendall said...

They are beautiful birds.

Bill said...

The woodpeckers seem to be working hard at their craft. Great photos!

Catalyst said...

That second one is definitely a new one.

Steve Reed said...

That cactus definitely looks like a probable nesting site!