Tuesday, May 30, 2023

North of the Flight Path

 

I made another 6:00 AM trip to the Desert Botanical Garden on Sunday.  I was standing at the top of the trail that goes up the side of a mountain and noticing the stream of flights taking off from the airport.  One right after the other, they kept emerging from behind the mountain.  I decided to try to snap a photo of one of the jets popping out from behind the cactus on the hillside.  This was the best one I got.  


When I was looking at the photo after downloading it, I wondered if I could tell what airline the plane was part of so I made a duplicate of the photo and cropped it way, way down to get just the jet.  I was surprised to see how clear it was.  After all, that jet was traveling pretty darn fast and the camera was hand-held.  

The Desert Botanical Garden is located north of the flight path for Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport.  Every time I visit the garden, I always see jets taking off and if I'm there early in the morning it seems like a steady stream of them are flying past.  I'm so used to seeing (and hearing) them that I hardly notice them.  I'm glad I took notice this time.


10 comments:

roentare said...

Great to have the plane in the frame

Travel said...

I love plane spotting.

Andy said...

I always like watching the planes take off.

‛¯¯٭٭¯¯(▫▫)¯¯٭٭¯¯’

RedPat said...

You caught a great view of that one with the cacti, Sharon.

William Kendall said...

Well timed with this shot.

Bill said...

What a great capture, well done!

Linda Sue said...

Excellent shot! What sort of camera did you use? I am in the market for a new camera- I have an old refurbished canon- and a phone but neither are even remotely great. Your shots are clear and wonderful always!

Catalyst said...

That's a splendid photo of the jet and the cactus. As I was looking at the cockpit windows I thought what a marvel it is that such a huge thing as that airplane can get off the ground.

Amy said...

Those are good shots, taken at just the right time.

Steve Reed said...

Good shot! We really are pretty much back to normal after the paralysis of the pandemic years, aren't we?