Friday, October 16, 2020

Tanuki & Dango

 


In the fall of 2017, the new outdoor exhibition at the Desert Botanical Garden was a collection of creations by Jun Kaneko, the Japanese ceramic artist. 

This was just three years ago so some of you may remember when I posted photos from this exhibit.  This circle of "Tanuki" (or raccoon-dogs) was located in a central point in the garden. Everyone seemed to love these sculptures.  I saw both kids and adults posing for photos with the colorful, life-sized creatures.











There were several colorful "heads" scattered around the garden.  All of them were painted differently.

There were also one or two sculptures shaped like a head but without the facial features like the one to the left.

































In another place in the garden there was a collection of "Dangos" displayed.  In Japanese "Dango" means dumpling so you might call these colorful dumplings.  I did a post in February of 2018 using these to create some abstract images.  Jun Kaneko is a very well known artist making this another very popular exhibit.  


13 comments:

biebkriebels said...

Funny looking creatures!

Andy said...

If you were trying to make me laugh with the first two photos... it worked. :-)

Steve Reed said...

YES! I remember your photos from this exhibit -- especially the raccoon dogs.

Susie of Arabia said...

A really interesting collection. I love the black and white striped one and the heads are cool too. The Japanese sometimes seem to have a quirky way of seeing things, which I like.

Travel said...

Oh those look like fun.

RedPat said...

I really like his work. He has a huge head here out in front of the ceramics museum and it is always a treat to see it.

Catarina said...

I enjoyed looking at them.
: )

Revrunner said...

Ay yi yi!

Janey and Co. said...

I can see myself posing with these! Colorful and very interesting.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I love those big heads! My granddaughter would enjoy seeing this.

Bill said...

What a wonderful series of art. I love those heads too.

William Kendall said...

Cool sculptures!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh I love the life size sculptures Sharon, so much fun and perfect for photo ops 😉 This entire exhibition was brilliant!