Friday, September 27, 2024

The Great Wave

 

On my last visit to the Art Institute of Chicago, I was talking to one of the gallery attendants about all the beautiful things I had seen over the past few days.  He told me to be sure to see "The Wave" before I left the museum.  The Wave of course refers to Katsushika Hokusai's famous woodblock print of a wall of water looming over Japan's Mount Fuji.  (I apologize for the reflections in the glass.) It is no doubt an image that would be familiar to almost everyone.  The print is very light sensitive so it only goes on display every five years and for very short periods of time.  

The attendant gave me directions to find the gallery it was in.  I was a bit awestruck by the mysterious feel they have given the room.  The entrance area was dark with many pillars leading up to a very large Japanese screen which also featured Mount Fuji.  The print was on the wall to the left.


Here's a better view of the screen.  It was created by Soga Shohaku.  Even though "The Wave" is a familiar print that has been reproduced many times, I'm glad I got to see one of the original prints.  It is a rare opportunity.
If the history of the print interests you, you will find more information about it here.  It's a fascinating story.  




No comments: