Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Distortion

 

Here is another painting from the new show at the Shemer Art Center.  This one is called "Goldfield" and it was painted by Ruta Janiulis.  The funny thing about this painting is that despite the distortion, I recognized the old western town of Goldfield.  



Here are two photos from the little town of Goldfield way out east of Phoenix.  It's a tourist spot in Apache Junction Arizona.  Do you see the resemblance?  

I did a post about Goldfield ghost town way back in 2013  and again in 2019.

















Ms. Janiulis had one other painting in the show.  This one is called Street View.  

She does a good job painting a very distorted scene.

9 comments:

Travel said...

Oh I like those. I have been to Goldfield, I signed the final paperwork to sell my fathers house in an office supply store in Apache Junction, it came in by email, and they wanted it ASAP. We faxed it to them, and within a minute I had an email saying the buyers had the keys. They have done a wonderful job of modernizing dad's house.

RedPat said...

I see the references to the real town, Sharon.

Steve Reed said...

Interesting! It makes me wonder if she has an eye condition that distorts things, like El Greco. I suppose in her case it's just artistic technique.

Bill said...

I really like her style of painting.

Diaday said...

My grandparents spent their winters away from Illinois in Apache Junction.

Catarina said...

I could see the resemblance. That is unique style.

roentare said...

Really powerful art

Aimz said...

you could stand there a while and look at the painting for it's different angles.

William Kendall said...

The art is surreal.