Friday, September 20, 2024

Chicago....At Last

 


This was one of my first views of beautiful Chicago.  We swung across the lake and over the city as we made our way to the airport.

No problems on the flight.  We left about 15 minutes late but landed 15 minutes early.

However, that was the end of the good travel karma.  

It took over an hour to get our checked luggage.  We started our wait at one carousel and then we were asked to move to another carousel where we waited and waited and then were told to go back the other carousel.  Finally the correct luggage arrived.  

Then there was the taxi ride into the city.  I was delayed enough that we hit rush hour traffic.  That ride took another 45 minutes.  Finally I was greeted by a long line of people waiting to check in.  



By the time I got to my room, I was exhausted.  However, I did manage to go out for a short walk.  I'm staying at the Palmer House, a Historic Hotel that I've always wanted to stay at.  It is such a gorgeous (and huge) place.  


After the walk, I decided to have a glass of wine and a bit to eat before retreating to my room for an early night.  The lobby bar (in the photo above) was way too noisy so I found a quieter place call Potter's.  It's named for Potter Palmer, the hotel's founder.  


My plan for Saturday is to go to the Art Institute of Chicago.  I haven't been in years and it's one of my favorite Art Museums.  

















1 comment:

Stefan Jansson said...

Enjoy Chicago. A city I would like to visit one day.