Sunday, February 11, 2024

The Rusty Cowboy

 


I took this photo way back in 2016 and it's been sitting in my files ever since because I couldn't find any information on it.

When I went to Tempe two weeks ago for that Tempe Blooms event, I had a plan to find the artist's name for this sculpture.  














The sculpture was still there and I circled my way around it looking for something to tell me the name of the artist and I couldn't find anything.  Then I noticed the strange sculpture just past this one.















Still, there was not sign to tell about the piece.  So when I got home I did some more internet digging and finally I found the information.  The reason this was so hard to find is that the cowboy sculpture isn't a stand alone piece.  This sculpture is a combination of 5 elements and this one with the wheels is number 3, the cowboy is number 2.  The piece is called The Progression of Transportation and it was created by David Brant.  Now I need to go back to Tempe sometime and find the rest of the pieces.  It starts with "walking"and then "horseback riding" and then "biking" (those wheels) and then "driving" and lastly "air flight".  You can see photos of all five pieces here.  

I have a new post on Sharon's Sojourns today.  Spies and politicians haunt this area.

5 comments:

roentare said...

The cowboy scene has a character to it

Catarina said...

He is looking at us.
: )

RedPat said...

You now have a mission in Tempe to look forward to, Sharon.

Travel said...

So much talent in the desert.

Steve Reed said...

Interesting! I wonder where the other pieces are? This is why sculptures displayed in a series or group are always a little dicey -- people might not view them that way!