Thursday, February 22, 2024

Keith Haring's Pyramid

 

When I was at the Phoenix Art Museum last weekend, I saw a piece I hadn't seen before sitting in the middle of the lobby in front of the gift shop.  

At first glance, I recognized Keith Haring's pop-art style immediately.  

I might be wrong but, it appears this spot is being used to showcase a piece of art in the collection that was selected by a member of the museum staff.  This one was selected by a gallery attendant with the following comment:

"Amid the AIDS crisis of the 1980's, I see Haring's belief in equality as a form of resistance to those who demonized the LBGTQ+ community and sought to ignore those affected by HIV.  In a time when people are again seeking to alienate and demonize the LBGTQ+ community, I want to show resistance, I want visibility as I believe Haring did."

I like the art and the sentiment.  

8 comments:

roentare said...

The pyramid is looking fabulous!

Diaday said...

What a fabulous piece of art!

RedPat said...

What a great piece, Sharon.

Travel said...

A nice work of art, and a very notable style. A few years later, and he would likely still be creating.

roentare said...

Very good looking pyramid

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I like it. The more I look at the details, the more interesting stuff I find!

Aimz said...

I do too like the art and the sentiment, I am also one to stand up for gay and LGBTQ rights.

Steve Reed said...

Excellent! Love it!