Sunday, February 25, 2024

20th Century Highlights

 

I'm continuing with more information about the Maria & Modernism exhibit at the Heard Museum that I wrote about yesterday.  This photo and the one below were of things that Maria and her husband encountered on their many trips across the country.  This is a photo of the New York Central Railroad's Mercury passenger train from the 1930's.  

And this gorgeous room is a bar in the Chrysler Building in New York dated 1939.  It is attributed to Seagram's Distillers.  Oh how I would love to have a drink it this setting.


This is a more traditional piece of ceramic dated from 1939.  The couple did pottery making demonstrations at the World's Fair in San Francisco. 


















This one is the black on black type of pottery that Maria became famous for. She perfected the craft.


















This piece caught my eye.  It was created by Barbara Gonzales who happens to be Maria's great-granddaughter.  The art of pottery making has been passed down the family tree.  

I love this one!














I felt compelled to include this photo of a 1985 El Camino.  Rose Simpson painted this vehicle to honor Maria.  She painted it in the black on black style inspired by Tewa pottery.  Her statement says that this was not just a show piece.  It was a hard working vehicle that was used on her farm.  It's gorgeous!  I wonder if it's still around somewhere.

It was a great exhibit that I will return to view again while it is here.  It will be up into July giving me lots of time to view it again.

I have a new post on Sharon's Sojourns today.  It's my Covent Garden destination.

7 comments:

roentare said...

that car is so sleek

Travel said...

A museum to see when I am there next winter.

Catarina said...

So interesting.
I could drive that car...

RedPat said...

The train and that lounge are wonderful. I love that era.

Steve Reed said...

An interesting assortment of Maria's influences, as well as the ways she influenced others!

Diaday said...

My parents collected southwestern Indian pottery and bought a few of Barbara Gonzalez's creations. They are so beautiful and are my favorites.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

The train is pure art deco in stile, I love it, the pottery is really nice to look at and as for the El Camino now that is Nice, a piece of Art to look at