Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Katsina Collection

 


Last week I had some photos from the Basha Family collection of baskets.  The Heard Museum also has a huge collection of Katsina dolls that were part of the Goldwater family collection.  

Katsina dolls (sometimes called Kachinas) are ceremonial figures created by the Hopi Native American people.  They usually represent a spirit figure or a relation in some way or form.  













The Heard Museum has hundreds of them and they are fascinating to see.


















I picked out a few different ones to share to give you an idea of the wide variety of images created.





































I especially like this one that looks like he's walking with a cane.  

Here is a link to a Wikipedia page about Katsina dolls in case you are interested.  The page also has a photo of the whole display case at the Heard Museum.  

8 comments:

biebkriebels said...

It is colourful art with lots of traditions I suppose.

Catarina said...

I am so glad you showed us this display.
Thank you. : )

RedPat said...

These are fabulous, Sharon. I really like them.

Diaday said...

My parents collected some beautiful kachinas. They are amazing works of art and tell wonderful stories.

Travel said...

A museum I need to see when I am there next year.

Aimz said...

they look like to me they have a sort of south american theme to them.

roentare said...

These figurines are special and unique

Catalyst said...

Nice ones.