Saturday, July 3, 2021

The Color Difference

 

I think I've mentioned before that one of my favorite spots at the Heard Museum is a small courtyard sculpture garden that used to have one brilliant red wall.  That wall served as a backdrop for many photos I've taken there over the years like the one above of the Allan Houser sculpture called "Gift of the Earth". 

I think I also mentioned before that they recently repainted that wall to a flat white.  I can still photograph the art against the white wall but it just doesn't have the same impact as before.




















From time to time, I also photographed the flowering vine that grows along that wall.  Those white flowers really pop against that red background.  It just doesn't work as well with the white background.  

The change makes me wonder who decided that white should be the new color.  Personally, I think they need to reevaluate that decision.  


13 comments:

biebkriebels said...

I agree with you, I go for the red, that looks much better.

Travel said...

Wow what a difference, the museum staff should see these

William Kendall said...

The red worked better.

RedPat said...

You should send them a link to this post, Sharon! What a difference!

Catalyst said...

I could not agree with you more. That red wall should have been a keeper. Now it reminds me of the term familiar to all renters: landlord white.

Susie of Arabia said...

I definitely prefer the red - so much more dramatic and eye catching. The red doesn't detract from the sculpture or the flowers - it enhances them. The white is very boring. Bad decision to change that color!

Bill said...

The red really looks better.

Amy said...

I actually prefer the orange, it's just so much more an interesting background.

Gemel said...

The red is the better choice.

Veronica Lee said...

The red does make a better backdrop for photography.

Happy Sunday!

Sami said...

A very bad decision to change to white, the red behind that sculpture really makes it stand out.

Steve Reed said...

I agree -- I like the red wall. But I guess there are purists who think art should only be shown against neutral walls, so we notice the art and not the wall!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

It's unanimous Sharon, the red wall is so much more photogenic 🌹