Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Using the Useless


On Sunday I posted about the strange metal framework that had been installed around the old Park Central mall.  I mentioned that I thought it was pretty useless.  That is unless you happen to be a photographer looking for some interesting shots.  I decided to see if I could use it to frame some photos.


I wandered around looking for ways to use it in new and artistic ways.  This was the best I could come up with.
































Probably the most puzzling is this 'covered' walk leading in and out of the center.  Shade is a very desirable element here in the desert.  Since this center houses a variety of restaurants it would make sense to provide some shade so the people working in those buildings across the street could walk over for lunch out of the sun.  As you can see from the top photo and this last one, this cover only provides shade in uneven stripes.

15 comments:

biebkriebels said...

Well at least it is good for us photo bloggers!

Travel said...

Neat design, even if it lacks function.

Andy said...

I pick the third photo as my favourite. It's the framing that caught my eye.

Steve Reed said...

I'm glad you figured out a way to use it creatively! And maybe THAT's what it's for? A "frame" for the surrounding city?

Sami said...

Creative photos indeed. I wonder if the idea is to grow climbers over the frame to provide shade?

Revrunner said...

See, there was a function after all. :-)

Catalyst said...

Very odd anywhere but especially for the Valley of the (Hot) Sun!

William Kendall said...

Terrific shots!

RedPat said...

At least you found some good use for it, Sharon!

Bill said...

Great shots, Sharon. A great challenge and results. My favorite is the third photo too, I love your framing of the building.

Bob Crowe said...

So it was just expensive decoration over walkways? I wonder if anyone, a developer, an accountant, objected.

Kay said...

Well, you've given it some purpose after all...

Karl said...

Great compositions, Sharon !

Catarina said...

You managed to take some good photos. :)

Susie of Arabia said...

I love this! So artistic - nicely done! You have a great eye!