Sunday, August 9, 2020

Big Changes at Park Central


When I first moved to Phoenix, Park Central was a midtown shopping center with a lot of nice shops, restaurants and department stores. I bought many clothes at the stores located here.  As the area became more and more of business hub and less residential, the shopping center started dying out.  For the past 15 or more years, the buildings have been converted into training centers, offices and clinics.  In this view across the parking lot and to the south  we can see the bank building (with the reflection) and the towers of the Phoenix Plaza.  This photo was taken in 2009.



Last year, I started seeing some unusual changes to this center in the form of all the metal screening and covers that have been added to the front of the center.  I say "unusual" because I don't think it's especially attractive or functional.  I think it makes the entire place look like it's still under construction.  As you can see in the photo above, the view across the parking lot was much the same.


This was that same view last Friday.  In one year's time, a whole new building has been built and it now blocks the previous view and covered the entire parking area.  I had recently read a call-to-artists" for a mural to be painted here and that's what prompted me to see where this mural might go.  It looks like it might run along the ground floor facade of this building but on the street side.  I'll keep my eyes open to see how it turns out.  I know one thing for certain, I still don't care for that strange metal framework.  It just looks like a some kind of metal scaffolding thrown together haphazardly.

I have a new post on Sharon's Sojourns today.  It's about a discovery I made while in Milan.

14 comments:

biebkriebels said...

yes the changes are going on, the metal framework doesn't add anything spectacular for the square I agree with you.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

What a difference in such a short time! It's exactly the same here Sharon, you've seen what's happened at Elizabeth Quay. I guess in one way it's a reassuring sight when a city keeps growing ✨

Travel said...

With that much structure, one would hope it would provide some shade. I think I met Dr. Spo and Someone at a bar there one evening on one of my visits.

Catarina said...

It seems to me that that metal framework serves no purpose.

RedPat said...

I agree with you about the metal bits, Sharon!

Steve Reed said...

How strange. Maybe it's "sculpture"? I guess malls everywhere are struggling. Kind of a shame, when you think about how vibrant and active they used to be.

Bill said...

That's a lot of change since 2009. The metal frame work doesn't add anything to the looks of the place so why have it.

Catalyst said...

It is truly ugly. I have many memories of the "old" Park Central from the 70's and 80's. I used to go to the Miracle Mile deli there for their amazing Straw sandwich. And the wonderful Smuggler's Inn for their martinis and sand dabs. I wish I could turn back the clock but don't we all.

Kay said...

Well it doesn't look as if they're even trying for shade with those structures. Our closest mall, about an hour away, is struggling. It and little satellites all around it form the heart of the city. It's near a couple of naval bases so there's a population to support much of it but I wonder what it will look like in a few years.

Revrunner said...

There are actual sculptures here where I live that--in my opinion anyway--are similarly mysterious. :-)

Bob Crowe said...

It is completely without purpose. Money wins out over esthetics again.

William Kendall said...

It sounds a bit like things going on here.

LuiZ FernandoS said...

I guess that metal structure may be a pergolado for some creepers and provide the so desired shadows

Susie of Arabia said...

Love the reflections and the building shapes