Thursday, April 21, 2022

Large Cactus - Tiny Blooms

 

 

I think this last Sunday was only the second time I've seen blooms on this particular cactus called a Whortleberry Cactus.  It is amazing to me how large the cactus grows yet how tiny the blooms are. They are not only tiny, but very pretty too.













Those little berry-like growths are the fruit of the cactus which Wikipedia says are edible.  I don't think I've ever heard of using the fruit but apparently it is eaten in Mexico.  

8 comments:

Gemel said...

I have a similar cactus in my garden. Towers above me yet the flowers are so small.

Andy said...

Sharon your closeups are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Travel said...

You have found the beauty in the native landscape, definitely spring in the land of perpetual sunshine.

William Kendall said...

The cactus is quite impressive.

RedPat said...

Those are sweet little flowers.

Bill said...

Beautiful flowers and photos.

Steve Reed said...

I guess the fruits are called whortleberries? I've never heard of this cactus before.

Catalyst said...

I was amazed at some of the things eaten in Mexico! :^D