Saturday, June 26, 2021

The Thorne Rooms

 

The last time I visited the Phoenix Art Museum, I made another trip through the room that houses The Thorne Rooms.  I posted about these miniature works of art six years ago so I thought it was a good time to do another post.  

These tiny rooms are the work of Narcissa Niblack Thorne (1882-1966).  Her uncle started her on a collecting journey when he began sending her pieces of miniature furniture that he picked up on this travels.  Soon she was also collecting pieces.  Starting in 1930, she began creating special rooms for the pieces commissioning pieces that she needed to complete each room.  All together, she created 99 rooms.  Thorne donated 20 of the rooms to the fledgling Phoenix Art Museum on its third anniversary.  The remaining rooms can be found at The Art Institute of Chicago (68),  The Knoxville Museum of Art (9) and the Children's Museum of Indianapolis (2). 



The detail in each room is simply amazing.  Everything is there from rugs on the floors to pictures on the walls to vases and flowers on the tables.




Each of the rooms is situated behind glass making them very difficult to photograph without reflections.  I managed these by pressing the camera lens up to the glass.  If works to ward off the glares but I don't get the whole room view that way.  

I think the very first one above is my favorite room.  It is described as a New York penthouse dining room.  This last one is also a favorite because I love Art Deco.  


If you click the link above and see my 2015 post, you will see a view of the whole room with this great looking window at the end.  I took another photo of that window when I was there a week ago and did some digital manipulation to give it its own artsy look.

11 comments:

Gemel said...

They are incredible, the 2nd 3rd and 4th are my favourites. Thanks for sharing.

biebkriebels said...

Oh a lovely place to visit and well photographed by you!

Andy said...

The decor is beautiful.

RedPat said...

I am amazed by these. I love that Deco one, Sharon!

Travel said...

Amazing works of art. I have always considered myself, impatient, in college I took a silversmithing class,and learned that I could in fact concentrate on tiny details for hours. This kind of work, takes that kind of concentration.

Catarina said...

Wow. I would love to visit that museum!

Bill said...

What a great museum to visit and explore!

William Kendall said...

These are exquisite.

Amy said...

wow so posh, I like how the piano has been painted in the flowers .

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I remember the Thorne Rooms from last time Sharon, so amazing! I can't imagine the patience it must take to work in miniature like this, the details are exquisite 💜

Steve Reed said...

I was going to comment that there's a series of children's books about the miniature rooms in Chicago -- but I see that I already said that on your 2014 post! LOL!