Thursday, June 3, 2021

Fearless Fashion

 

Last weekend, I went to the Phoenix Art Museum to see a new exhibit called Fearless Fashion.  It was all about designer Rudi Gernreich.



I have to admit that I didn't really recognize the name but I do remember some of these 1960's mod-style clothes.  

Gernreich was born in Vienna Austria but he fled Nazi oppression in his teen years.  He eventually immigrated to Los Angeles.  As a young jewish, gay man he encountered discrimination and found a safe haven in the performing arts community.  

The clothes depicted here were things he designed for the dance company he joined.  

His designs for theater evolved into more tailored suits, mini-skirts and sportswear.






His gender-fluid and body-hugging styles were popular during the 1960's.  Many of his designs could be worn by both women and men.  His collection featured knitted swimsuits and thong underwear.  Some of you might remember his topless swimsuit.

The jumpsuit to the right made me smile.  It looks like it could have been designed for living through a pandemic!

I'll show you a few more of his designs tomorrow.

10 comments:

biebkriebels said...

I am jealous to see you visiting museums, Here they are still closed....

Andy said...

The jumpsuit also made me smile... a big smile.
(‾◡◝ )

Gemel said...

Oh my, I couldn't stop laughing.

Travel said...

In fashion, the extraordinary, inspire the ordinary. The museums here are just starting to reopen.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh my gosh they are fabulous Sharon, beautifully shown here. Your remark about the last outfit made me smile, so true 😉

William Kendall said...

Quite of its time.

RedPat said...

How wonderful to be able to go to a museum! And such fun to see this exhibit - I remember his clothes.

Catarina said...

I am not familiar with the name...
Our museums are still closed here

Bill said...

The jumpsuit could have made a comeback. Interesting designs for sure.

Steve Reed said...

I remember reading about Rudi Gernreich years ago in Vanity Fair magazine. I hadn't heard of him before that, but he sounds like a fascinating character. That "joined-at-the-hip" outfit is truly perplexing, even for a dance company!